Barstool Chicago Sports Traditions Draft Grades

Round 1 Pick 1: Enter Sandman, Jack Mac

Great pick. It looks so cool and would love to be in one of those stadiums that is shaking form start to finish. It is a good song and a cool tradition. Maryland plays at VT in a few years and I will absolutely be there. 

Grade: A

Round 1 Pick 2: Super Bowl Sunday, Rico

Great pick. Super Bowl Sunday is basically a holiday in America. Every year it is the most watched event and there is nothing more culturally significant. Everyone watches the Super Bowl. Great pick. 

Grade: A+

Round 1 Pick 3: Hawkeye Wave, Dave

This is a great pick. While it is a very new tradition, I think it is a great one. I cried when they did the Rinaldi piece about it and I am not ashamed to say it. It is important for some traditions to be bigger than sports and this one certainly is. 

Grade: A+

Round 1 Pick 4: Haka Dance, Chief

Frankly, I have a lot to say about the Haka. For starters, it is soooooooooo overrated. It was cool a few years ago when it was just the Rugby team that did it. But now we have the New Zealand croquet and water aerobics team doing it? Come on. It has become cringe and annoying that it gets shoved in our faces whenever they play in a major matchup. Also, it's definitely not the fourth-best tradition in sports. 

Grade: C

Round 1 Pick 5: National Anthem, Eddie

Hey, I love America, but this is a lame pick. I mean it isn't like it is super unique or anything, every team does it. I mean some places do it differently but just the standard version is not in the top five sports traditions in my opinion. 

Grade: B-

Round 2 Pick 1: Take Me Out to the Ball Game (Wrigley), Eddie

Maybe I am uncultured but is there something special about Take Me Out to the Ball Game at Wrigley? If not then this is a bad pick. I get that Harry Caray used to sing it, but he doesn't anymore so it isn't as special. 

Grade: B

Round 2 Pick 2: Jump Around, Chief

I would've accepted this as the first overall draft pick. Jump Around is awesome and it looks so fun. It is very iconic and it is one of the traditions that transcends college football. 

Grade: A+

Round 2 Pick 3: Sausage Race, Dave

I love the sausage race. Any racing of mascots is enjoyable, but there is something about tubed meats that makes me chuckle. I think every team should have its own version. 

Grade: A+

Round 2 Pick 4: One Shining Moment, Rico

This is something I look forward to every year. I like reminiscing about the tournament and trying to find all of the fun moments. Of course I always look for the Terps moments as well. It is just a very nice thing to look forward at the end of one of the best months in sports. Also it is a great song. 

Grade: A

Round 2 Pick 5: You'll Never Walk Alone, Jack Mac

Interesting to go soccer this early since nobody else would have picked it. But, this is a fantastic pick. I hate Liverpool but YNWA is a great tradition. Hearing the stadium belt it out is awesome and I would say it is the most known sports song in the world. 

Grade: A

Round 3 Pick 1: Penn State White Out, Jack Mac

Strap in folks as I tell you about the most overrated tradition in all of sports. First, they all wear the same color shirt, congrats I bet no other school has done that before. Anyway the whiteout is fine and a good environment, but it has become so popular to call it awesome that it has unfortunately become overrated. Also whenever a school announces they are doing a blackout, red out, blue out, etc. Penn State fans will jump in the comments and say "Ugh everyone trying to be Penn State". Get over yourselves you absolute losers. 

My Grade: F

What people will actually think of it: A

Round 3 Pick 2: Singing Second (Army/Navy), Rico

I love the Army-Navy Game. It is everything that is great about America. Singing second is such an awesome tradition. It is quite the sight to see the entire team run from one corner to the other and scream with pride with their fans. Just an awesome sight.

Grade: A+

Round 3 Pick 3: Jumping Through Tables, Dave

Ehhhhh I don't know Jim. I think it is hilarious when Bills fans do this, but I'm not sure it would be in my top traditions. If anything I would have taken it in the fifth round. 

Grade: C+

Round 3 Pick 4: Blackhawks National Anthem, Chief

Ehhh this is slightly cooler than the national anthem. I get it, the fans sing it and are really loud. But, it just doesn't move me that much.

Grade: B

Round 3 Pick 5: Cutting Down the Nets, Eddie

I like this pick a lot. It is a great tradition that warms the heart. It is really cool when your team gets to do it and it is always a cool visual. I know this was a basketball pick, but they also do this for the Champion's League, which I think is awesome. 

Grade: A

Round 4 Pick 1: NFL Thanksgiving, Eddie

Another wonderful selection. Everyone likes sitting down after watching Thanksgiving dinner and watching some football. You get to have the terrible football conversations with your older family members who don't understand football and now you get to talk gambling with your cousins. Just a great mix. 

Grade: A

Round 4 Pick 2: Florida State Spear, Chief

I've always thought this was pretty cool. The flaming spear is unique and I like that FSU actually works with the Seminole Indians. A very nice tradition.

Grade: A

Round 4 Pick 3: Gatorade Dump, Dave

I honestly cannot believe that this was taken so late. It is the tradition in sports that is most synonymous with winning. After every championship coaches get Gatorade dumped on them. The tradition has now grown in college with the mayo dump and the potato dump. Very good pick.

Grade: A

Round 4 Pick 4: Passing the Green Jacket, Rico

I can't believe there wasn't more Master's picks in this draft. I feel like it is the sporting event that leans most into tradition. Either way, this is a fantastic pick. I like that they honor previous winners and give each other the trophy. 

Grade: A

Round 4 Pick 5: Bruce Buffer (it is time), Jack Mac

I mean it isn't even the most popular tradition by a Buffer. I feel like "Let's get ready to rumble" would have been the better pick.

Grade: D

Round 5 Pick 1: Georgia Southern's Bus, Jack Mac

Dude no way he picked this. No point in even breaking it down.

Grade: F

Round 5 Pick 2: Yankees Roll Call, Rico

Not my favorite tradition, but I think I just don't like it because it is the Yankees. I like that it involves the players and the fans, which is unique. It is something that more teams should try. (Not necessarily the roll call but traditions with fans and players)

Grade: B

Round 5 Pick 3: Storming Court or Field, Dave

Excellent pick from Dave. This is the coolest thing about college sports. I got to storm the court last year and it was one of the most memorable nights of my life. Great pick in the fifth.

Grade: A+

Round 5 Pick 4: Mull of Kintyre, Chief

Alright. This is just not a good pick.

Grade: D

Round 5 Pick 5: Ralphie Run, Eddie

Pretty solid Mr. Irrelevant. It isn't an amazing pick but it is unique. Also it is insane to think that they just let a buffalo sprint around a football field for fun. 

Grade: B+


I think Rico has the best board this week. Very solid from top to bottom.

Predicted Winner: Rico Bosco


Comments

Popular Posts