Barstool Chicago Video Game Character Draft Grades

The Chicago crew is back and drafting video game characters. They are joined by Mrags, who is one of Barstool's newest content hires. This was a really fun draft to listen to. Enjoy!

Round 1 Pick 1: Master Chief, Mrags

I don't really think this was a great number one overall pick. First-round, sure, but definitely not first overall. I do understand the value in the pick, but I don't think it should be first overall.

Grade: A-

Round 1 Pick 2: Pablo Sanchez, Carl

I like the pick of course, but again there are some big hitters still left on the board. Great player in backyard baseball, but I don't know if it is 2nd overall pick. Again there are VERY big names on the board. 

Grade: A-

Round 1 Pick 3: Link, Dave

Not gonna lie, surprised Dave didn't call him Zelda. Hats off. I think Link is a great pick, however, I don't know if the pick plays with the casual video game fan. It will get a lot of votes from the big video game fans, but casuals won't be moved by this.

Grade: B+

Round 1 Pick 4: James Bond, Chief

I think this is a great pick. I also think it's fine since Bond is a fictional character. I think enough people recognize Bond as a video game character and not just a movie character while that rhetoric isn't with people like the Joker, Batman, etc.

Grade: A

Round 1 Pick 5: Pac-Man, Ed

I think this pick stinks out loud. Sure Pac-Man is iconic, but it's a pretty bad character. Like nobody's favorite game or character is pac-man. I think this would've been like a solid, third-round pick, but not a first rounder.

Grade: C

Round 2 Pick 1: Mario, Ed

Now this is a pick. Like honestly, it could've been first overall and definitely should've been first round. There isn't much to say, Mario is probably the most iconic character of all time. 

Grade: A+

Round 2 Pick 2: Sonic, Chief

Ehhhhhh. I like this pick, but I think there were some better picks available. Sonic is solid, it will get some voted. But I don't know if that was best available.

Grade: B+

Round 2 Pick 3: Donkey Kong, Dave

I think DK is a solid pick. He has his own games that are fun. He's a good side character/villain in the Mario series. I think this was a solid pick.

Grade: B+

Round 2 Pick 4: Kratos, Carl

Meh. Like he's a great character, but there were better picks on the board and I doubt Ed, Dave, and Chief even had it on their board. I definitely think it could've got to him in the third round.

Grade: C+

Round 2 Pick 5: Pikachu, Mrags

Great fuckin pick. Everyone loves pokemon and it crosses generations. People to this day still enjoy pokemon, people 30 years ago liked pokemon. Awesome selection.

Grade: A+

Round 3 Pick 1: Crash Bandicoot, Mrags

A solid wraparound selection from Mrags. Crash Bandicoot was important to many childhoods of people in the voting pool. 

Grade: A-

Round 3 Pick 2: Yoshi, Carl

Another average pick from Carl. He wanted Nintendo, but there were better ones left on the board. 

Round 3 Pick 3: Bowser, Dave

Solid selection from Dave right here. He's gone very Nintendo heavy right here, but I think it's working so far. Everyone likes Bowser even though he is the villain. I think it has good value in the third.

Grade: B+

Round 3 Pick 4: Sub-Zero, Chief

I like this pick a lot. Mortal Kombat has had a pretty strong resurgence in recent years. I think this is probably the most famous character from the series, in my opinion. I like Chief's draft so far.

Grade: A-

Round 3 Pick 5: Glass Joe, Ed

See the problem here is, Glass Joe isn't even the main character of the series. That's Little Mac. I think Eddie would've been better off taking him over Joe.

Grade: C+

Round 4 Pick 1: Tommy Vercetti, Ed

I never played GTA, but I think this is a good pick. I don't know anything about the character, but having a GTA character on your board is great for votes.

Grade: A

Round 4 Pick 2: James Patterson, Chief

Awful pick. Nobody likes Medal of Honor. Chief just tanked his draft quicker than the Titanic's iceberg. 

Grade: F

Round 4 Pick 3: Lara Croft, Dave

Bonk. But anyways, Lara Croft is actually a good pick. The pointy boobs are absolutely hilarious. A solid pickup in the fourth round.

Grade: A

Round 4 Pick 4: Mega Man, Carl

I like this pick. Mega Man is fun and simple. Everyone enjoys a good game of mega man. 

Grade: B+

Round 4 Pick 5: Captain Price, Mrags

Incredible pick. He and Soap could've gone second round. It gets the votes from the COD crowd. Also the MW campaigns were incredible.

Grade: A

Round 5 Pick 1: Sora, Mrags

The character is good, but I don't think the pick plays that well. I doubt the final fantasy type crowd really crosses over with people voting on the snake draft. It's not a great pick, but the rest of his draft is fine.

Grade: C+

Round 5 Pick 2: Ryu, Carl

Great value in the fifth round. Solid game with a lead character. Everyone knows who it is. Unfortunately, Ryu is from the less popular fighting game.

Grade: B-

Round 5 Pick 3: Solid Snake, Dave

I think more people know Snake from Smash Bros over Metal Gear Solid. It's a decent pick, but I really don't think it helps Dave get any votes. 

Grade: C

Round 5 Pick 4: Ox, Chief

Ummmm the pick is fine, but it won't get any votes. 

Grade: D+

Round 5 Pick 5: Player, Ed

Just not a very good pick. Also shouldn't have counted, but it doesn't really matter, Ed's draft wasn't great, to begin with.

Grade: C-

I think there are really only two viable options to win: Dave and Mrags. They both had really strong picks. I think Mrags inclusion of Captain Price really sets him apart from the crowd because it gets a ton of votes from COD fans.

Predicted winner: Mrags

Predicted Loser: Chief

Comments

Popular Posts