Barstool Chicago Irish Shite Draft Grades

The Chicago boys are back the week before Saint Patrick's Day with a draft of Irish Shite. They are accompanied by Captain Cons, Barstool's resident Irish-Catholic. I'm not certain, but this might be the first time they have had back-to-back guests from the same show.

Round 1 Pick 1: Guinness, Chief

This is a great number one pick from Chief. I don't think it is the clear and obvious number one overall selection, but it is definitely worthy of the pick. It is certainly the most famous of Irish beverages and people associate it with Ireland and St. Patrick's Day.

Grade: A+

Round 1 Pick 2: Boondock Saints, Cons

It's a good pick, but when you are immediately followed up by The Departed, it's a tough look. I think it will play well, but I'm not sure how well.

Grade: A-

Round 1 Pick 3: The Departed, Eddie

I think this is a great pick. When people are looking at the graphic I think they will see The Departed and automatically want to pick it. I don't care that it isn't the first movie when you think of when you think Irish, it's a tremendous pick.

Grade: A+

Round 1 Pick 4: Cillian Murphy, Dave

So I like Cillian Murphy, but I don't really think he should've been the first actor taken off of the board. I actually think he is probably four on my big board, but I still like him.

Grade: B+

Round 1 Pick 5: Corned Beef, Carl

Great pick probably could've gone number one overall. It is absolutely synonymous with Ireland and St. Patrick's day. Great pick.

Grade: A+

Round 2 Pick 1: Liam Neeson, Carl

Great back-to-back from Carl right here. I know he didn't really want Neeson, but he definitely plays the best on the graphic. He has incredible name recognition and is probably the most famous Irish actor ever. Two incredible picks from Carl.

Grade: A+

Round 2 Pick 2: Road to Perdition, Dave

Not the best pick from Dave here. I haven't seen the movie, but it looks like a good movie. I just don't think it will play as well as other movies, notably The Departed.

Grade: B+

Round 2 Pick 3: Collin Farrell, Eddie

If Neeson is 1A Farrell is definitely 1B and maybe even a tie with Neeson. They are both tremendous actors from the Emerald Isle, a great pick from Red Ed.

Grade: A

Round 2 Pick 4: Jameson, Cons

Jameson is an incredibly polarizing pick. It is extremely well-known and loved by a good amount of people, but it also is many people's worst enemy. I'm not sure which group is in the majority, but I do think it will be pretty helpful for the graphic.

Grade: B

Round 2 Pick 5: Irish Flag, Chief

Great pick from Chief. I feel like whenever you're walking around town and see a pub flying some Irish flags outside, you just know that place is gonna be good. One of the stronger props available.

Grade: A

Round 3 Pick 1: Pierce Brosnan, Chief

While I don't think Brosnan is the best Irish actor, he was probably the best one available. (Besides Saoirse Ronan who was despicably not drafted). Pierce is one of the James Bonds, so he has a good following. Unfortunately, he is also not the most famous Bond actor. Nonetheless, it's a solid pick but it won't win or lose the draft.

Grade: B

Round 3 Pick 2: Mickey O'Neil, Cons

So I personally don't think it's an awesome pick, but when people see Brad Pitt on the graphic they might just end u[ voting for him. So while I don't think the pick is amazing, I think having Brad Pitt is a strong move by Cons.

Grade: A-

Round 3 Pick 3: Lucky, Eddie

This pick would be great if we had elementary school kids voting. I would say Lucky the Leprechaun is good but not great. I do think it will have the nostalgia factor, which could help Ed on the poll.

Grade: B+

Round 3 Pick 4: The Leprechaun, Dave

I don't think a ton of people really like The Leprechaun. It's a movie that's so bad it's good. I do think it has a cult following with loyal fans, but overall I don't think this was the best fictional character selection.

Grade: B

Round 3 Pick 5: Gangs of New York, Carl

I personally don't love the movie, but I know a lot of people do. I think it looks really good on the graphic when you have Gangs of New York, honestly, it might be better on the graphic than Rudy. Good pick from Carl.

Grade: A

Round 4 Pick 1: Shillelagh, Carl

People that aren't Irish might not know what this is, but it's a solid pick. I would say it is probably the third-best prop, but it was taken in a good spot.

Grade: B+

Round 4 Pick 2: Kilt, Dave

Kilts aren't Irish so this pick is terrible.

Grade: F

Round 4 Pick 3: Four-Leaf Clover, Eddie

I would say that this is the second best prop, behind the Irish flag. Everyone loves a shamrock and it is synonymous with Ireland and St. Patrick's Day. Great pick from Ed.

Grade: A

Round 4 Pick 4: Celtic Cross, Cons

I personally like the pick, but people that aren't Irish might not be moved by this prop. It's cool, my mom has a few of these in her house, but I just don't think it moves the needle.

Grade: B-

Round 4 Pick 5: In the Name of the Father, Chief

Great movie, but no one knows it. Up until this pick, I think Chief wins. He had the best food/drink, the best prop, and a good actor. But he picked a movie people don't know. It sounds awesome, but I just can't rank it highly.

Grade: C+

Round 5 Pick 1: Damien O'Donovan, Chief

Chief had a chance to try and redeem himself, but he absolutely botched it. This is like picking Michael Oher from The Blind Side. I was stunned. Not a great end to a very promising draft.

Grade: C-

Round 5 Pick 2: Chris O'Dowd, Cons

Chris O'Dowd is good but not great, definitely a tier below all of the other selections. However it is a fifth-round pick, so I won't take off too many points.

Grade: C

Round 5 Pick 3: Baileys, Eddie

Good pick, people like Car Bombs, people like Irish Coffees, and people like Bailey's. Great value in the fifth round. Very good pick from Ed.

Grade: A

Round 5 Pick 4: Smithwicks, Dave

I feel like a lot of people have never even heard of this beer. Dave's draft wasn't that good overall and he definitely will not be on the poll again this week.

Grade: D+

Round 5 Pick 5: Irishman Steven, Carl

Great character from an awesome movie. An incredible Mr. Irrelevant, but I'm not sure it is enough to win Carl the draft.


Of all the drafts I expected Chief to win, I thought it would've been this one. Boy was I wrong. He started off great but stumbled at the end. As an Irishman with a Grandmother straight from the Emerald Isle, I am so distraught to give my seal of approval to the Italian blood of Red Ed. But his draft was just so good.


Predicted winner: Ed

Predicted loser: Dave, again

Comments

Popular Posts