Barstool Chicago College Mascot Draft Grades

The Chicago boys are back to draft college football mascots with Big Ev. This was a solid draft across the board, which made it difficult to grade, however I think I did my best.

 Round 1 Pick 1: Oregon Duck, Eddie

At first the pick seems good, but when you stack it up with the rest if the first round its not the best pick. This was a tough draft to be number one overall because there was no clear choice. I don't hate the mascot, but it probably wasn't the best pick.

Grade: B+

 Round 1 Pick 2: Uga the Bull Dog, Dave

Uga is probably one of the better live mascots in the country. He's universally loved, and genuinely a good mascot. Good pick from Dave.

Grade: A

 Round 1 Pick 3: Brutus the Buckeye, Big Ev

I've never personally been a fan of Brutus as a mascot. I think it could play well on the graphic, but I don't think Brutus is a particularly stellar mascot.

Grade: B

 Round 1 Pick 4: The Syracuse Orange, Carl

The Syracuse Orange is probably one of the funniest mascots in all of college football. Although Syracuse isn't particularly a football school, the mascot is still good at football games. I also think it is one of the most recognizable mascots. Good pick from Carl.

Grade: A

 Round 1 Pick 5: Smokey the Dog, Chief

Smokey is a good pick, but there is one major flaw. It's not the best dog in the conference. Uga takes first prize in the SEC. Despite this smokey is a good pick, and Tennessee fans are passionate, which will help on the graphic.

Grade: A-

 Round 2 Pick 1: Ralphie the Bison, Chief

Ralphie might not be the best mascot in general, but I personally think it was the best available in the Pac-12. Bison are extremely cool, and the run in is electric. However, I think Ralphie loses points because Colorado isn't that good and doesn't have a particularly large fanbase.

Grade: B+

 Round 2 Pick 2: Pistol Pete, Carl

Pistol Pete is an ok mascot, but he isn't the best in his conference, which is tough because he was the first Big-12 mascot off the board. I think his biggest weakness is the realistic mascot head. Personally I don't think it's great.

Grade: B

 Round 2 Pick 3: Beavo, Big Ev

Probably the best live mascot in the country. The longhorn is incredibly cool, and a bit intimidating. It also plays well on the graphic since Texas is one of the biggest brands in all of college football. I think this was a very good pick.

Grade: A

 Round 2 Pick 4: Chief Osceola, Dave

I think Chief Osceola is the best human mascot in the country. The spear throw in the beginning of the game is one of the most electric traditions in all of college football. I think this was probably the number one mascot in the ACC.

Grade: A+

 Round 2 Pick 5: Mike the Tiger, Eddie

Mike is certainly the most intimidating mascot in the sport. He is the only live tiger in all of college football, which is impressive. Unfortunately, Mike no longer goes to the games, which kinda killed the tradition.

Grade: B+

 Round 3 Pick 1: Duke Blue Devil, Eddie

This was the first "bad" pick of the draft. The mascot by itself is pretty good, but when you pair it with a subpar football program and the general public's hatred for Duke university, the pick loses a lot of value. The bad parts outweigh the good parts of the pick.

Grade: D+

 Round 3 Pick 2: Purdue Pete, Dave

I've always been a fan of Purdue Pete. He has good pre-game traditions and the sledge hammer is pretty cool. However I don't think this a pick that gets the people going. Overall I think it was a safe pick, but doesn't help to win the draft.

Grade: C+

 Round 3 Pick 3: Stanford Cardinal, Big Ev

I've never been a fan of the Stanford Cardinal, but it is definitely the funniest mascot in the college football. It was also the most fun mascot to play with on mascot mashup, so that is an added bonus. I think this was a solid pick, but nothing special.

Grade: B-

 Round 3 Pick 4: Sparty, Carl

I think Sparty is a pretty good mascot and is pretty recognizable. I don't have a whole lot to say about the pick, it was a safe pick and I think people have a generally positive view of the mascot.

Grade: A-

 Round 3 Pick 5: Boomer and Sooner, Chief

The ride out at OU games is electric and they wouldn't be possible without Boomer and Sooner. Everyone remembers when the Wagon fell over a few years ago, which was hilarious. I think this was a good pick and it will play well on the graphic.

Grade: A

 Round 4 Pick 1: Sebastian the Ibis, Chief

Back to back great picks from Chief. I think Sebastian is the best bird mascot in college football and could've gone in the first round. The main problem is that Miami football has been pretty bad in recent memory, which brings down Sebastian's stock slightly. However I think this will be a good nostalgia pick.

Grade: A

 Round 4 Pick 2: Cosmo the Cougar, Carl

I don't watch a whole lot of BYU football, but I have heard good things about their mascot. I know it does many cool stunts and gets the crowd going. Unfortunately, I think most of the country isn't in tune with the hijinks of the cougar, which will ultimately hurt Carl.

Grade: B

 Round 4 Pick 3:The Demon Deacon, Big Ev

I think this is one of the more underrated picks of the draft. The demon deacon is awesome when he rides his motorcycle around the stadium. He is also another awesome mascot in NCAA football mascot mashup. Unfortunately I think Wake Forest is not a huge national brand either, which will end up hurting the pick.

Grade: B

 Round 4 Pick 4: Fighting Irish, Dave

I think this was a bit of a pander from Dave. The live Fighting Irishman isn't a particularly awesome mascot, but he will play well on the graphic because Notre Dame is such a large college football brand.

Grade: B

 Round 4 Pick 5: Kansas Jayhawk, Eddie

I think this is another bad pick from Eddie. Kansas is a terrible football school and the Jayhawk chant is better than the mascot itself. It will definitely not play well on the graphic.

Grade: D

 Round 5 Pick 1: Bucky the Badger, Eddie

A good turnaround by Eddie, but it is most likely too little too late. Bucky is a decent mascot, he doesn't tip the scale in any means, but he's solid.

Grade: C+

 Round 5 Pick 2: Traveler, Dave

This wasn't a great pick form Dave. The horse isn't particularly a strong selection. If anything, it's a pander to USC fans since they are one of the largest fanbases in the country. The mascot isn't anything special.

Grade: B

 Round 5 Pick 3: Albert and Alberta the gators, Big Ev

Pretty good mascots to end Big Ev's board which I think it pretty solid. They aren't the best mascots, but Florida is a big brand which will help to gain votes.

Grade: B-

 Round 5 Pick 4: Aubie the Tiger, Carl

It seems as though Carl ran out of ideas with this pick. Choosing a Tiger is nothing special, especially when it's not a live Tiger. It also doesn't help when it's not even the best tiger in it's conference and it doesn't help that Auburn isn't the biggest program in its state. This was a slip at the end of an otherwise great draft.

Grade: C+

 Round 5 Pick 5: Herbie the Husker, Chief

A solid final pick from Chief. The Big Ten wasn't a particularly deep pool of mascots, and Herbie is one of the more unique mascots in college. It also helps the Nebraska is a massive brand with a pretty devoted following.

Grade: B


This was a very competitive draft. I think both Chief and Carl make strong cases for winning this week. However, I think Chief strategically selected the stronger fan bases, which will ultimately win him the draft.

My projected winner: Chief

My projected loser: Eddie

Comments

Popular Posts