Barstool Chicago Christmas Shit Draft Grades


The Chicago boys are back for a draft of Christmas shit. They are joined by Nick Turani, of ANUS and The Yak. The draft categories were: Activity, Villain, Toy, Food/Drink, and Decoration. 

 Round 1, Pick 1: Opening Presents, Chief

This was a very clear and obvious number one pick. Activity is a pretty deep category, but this was head and shoulders above the rest. I'm honestly surprised Chief didn't mess this up given his draft history.

Grade: A+

 Round 1, Pick 2: Sledding, Dave

This was a questionable pick from Dave. I think he was probably just stumbling after getting drinking beer vetoed, but sledding could've been taken further down. Sledding is obviously a great category, but I personally don't think it's synonymous with Christmas itself.

Grade: C+

 Round 1, Pick 3: Christmas Tree, Eddie

This is 100% the best decoration off the board. Decoration was a pretty weak category in terms of depth, but the tree is a staple in every household at Christmas.

Grade: A

 Round 1, Pick 4: Giving Gifts, Nick

This was a good selection by Nick. As you get older, giving gifts becomes just as good as receiving them. I think this was a slam dunk.

Grade: A+

 Round 1, Pick 5: Heat Miser, Carl

I didn't understand the hate around this pick. Do I think it was a first round villain? Probably not. But do I think it's a good selection, absolutely. The one problem is that Heat Miser wasn't the only villain in the movie, so his fear factor goes down a little bit. Also shoutout to Carl for being the only guy in the crew to read the grades.

Grade: B+

 Round 2, Pick 1: Milk and Cookies, Carl

I think this was an underrated pick. Putting milk and cookies out for Santa Clause was one of the most exciting times of the year. It was also awesome to run out to the tree on Christmas morning and see a bunch of half eaten cookies and an empty glass of milk. I think this plays with good nostalgia points.

Grade: A

Round 2, Pick 2: All of the other Reindeer, Nick

While this was a funny pick, I don't think it will really do well on the graphic. I mean I guess they're villains, but Nick definitely could've taken some better ones.

Grade: B-

Round 2, Pick 3: Christmas Cookies, Eddie

Cookies just taste better around the holidays. I think was a tremendous pick. Personally I think it would've been better as an activity, but it's probably the number one selection of the Food/Drink category.

Grade: A

 Round 2, Pick 4: Wet Bandits, Dave

This was one of Dave's best selection of the draft, and maybe ever. It had great value coming in the second round and the villains are both scary and lovable. As a kid, I though Harry was absolutely terrifying. It also helps that they are a part of two of the top five Christmas movies ever.

Grade: A+

 Round 2, Pick 5: Tree-Shaped Reeses Cup, Chief

This was another good pick from Chief. They mentioned it during the podcast, but for some reason the shaped Reeses Cups just taste better. I don't think that is exclusive to the tree shaped ones, the pumpkins and hearts are also amazing. With that being said, this was one of the best stocking stuffers you could get. The one bad part of the pick is that I don't think many people think of it when they think of Christmas foods.

Grade: A-

 Round 3, Pick 1: Scott Farkus (A Christmas Story), Chief

This was probably Chiefs first real blunder. This kid is an all-time asshole, and it's ultimate satisfaction when Ralphie beats him up. But, I don't think Scott has name recognition. If "A Christmas Story" is put on the graphic I think it will do well, but if it isn't most people won't know who this is.

Grade: B-

 Round 3, Pick 2: Egg Nog, Dave

This was a very safe pick from Dave. I think everyone enjoys egg nog, both spiked or regular. I don't see a real downside, but it also isn't a draft winner.

Grade: B-

 Round 3, Pick 3: The Grinch, Eddie

The fact that the Grinch fell all the way to the third round shocked me. This was clearly the number one villain and three people took different villains ahead of him. I think that this was probably the biggest steal of the draft.

Grade: A+

 Round 3, Pick 4: Stocking, Nick

This was an underwhelming pick. Everyone has a stocking, but I think there were many better decorations left on the board. Nick probably could've picked lights or the nativity scene and it would have played better on the graphic. However I don't think it is an awful selection.

Grade: C

 Round 3, Pick 5: Spending Time With Family, Carl

Great pick by Carl right here. It may have been a bit of a pander, but I don't really care. Everyone loves spending time with their family at Christmas, and it gets even better as you get older. 

Grade: A

 Round 4, Pick 1: Bicycle, Carl

Back-to-back good pick from Carl. Everyone loved getting a new bike for Christmas. You'd unwrap it and head outside and ride it in the freezing cold, but you wouldn't care one bit. It was also an awesome gift to showoff to your friends.

Grade: A

 Round 4, Pick 2: Lionel Train Set, Nick

Another whiff from Nick. I think of a train set as more of a decoration than a gift, especially a Lionel train set. It also takes a long time to put together after you open it, and you don't really play with it, you just watch it. 

Grade: D+

 Round 4, Pick 3: Nerf Gun, Eddie

Everyone loves Nerf guns. You loved to shoot you brother and sister, your dad loved it because it made you seem like a man, and your mom loved it because you wouldn't shoot your eye out. It was fun to play with, but I have to take a point off because you had to clean up all the darts.

Grade: A-

 Round 4, Pick 4: Transformers, Dave

This was an ok pick from Dave. Transformers were cool, but I think Carl explained it perfectly that the brand and show were better than the gift itself. This seems like a toy you'd play with for a week and then forget about it.

Grade: C

 Round 4, Pick 5: Vortex Football, Chief

Safe pick from Chief right here. Everyone likes the vortex, but I don't think this is a gift that you scream when you open it. It's good not great, but it fits well on his draft board.

Grade: B

 Round 5, Pick 1: Mistletoe, Chief

Mistletoe is a very hit or miss decoration. Now it seems more like a joke than a real decoration, and very few people actually have it up. Despite this I think it plays well on the graphic.

Grade: B

 Round 5, Pick 2: Poinsettia, Dave

This wasn't the best pick from Dave right here. I don't think poinsettias are really that popular outside of middle-aged moms, but I could be wrong. I don't think everyone is rushing to get it as a decoration.

Grade: D

 Round 5 , Pick 3: Ugly Sweater Party, Eddie

A very safe pick in the fifth round. I think everyone likes ugly sweater parties, but they have become a bit over done in recent years. I think it still plays well on the graphic.

Grade: B

 Round 5, Pick 4: Figgie Pudding, Nick

I don't think people would even know what figgie pudding is without the song. I think Nick new his draft was toast and just wanted to make a joke, in my opinion. Not a great pick.

Grade: F

 Round 5, Pick 5: Mini Christmas Village, Carl

This was an alright pick, I think there were better decorations on the board, like Christmas lights or a wreath, but it's not the worst decoration. I don't think everyone can relate to having a village in their house, so I don't think it plays as well as Carl would have liked.

Grade: C+


My predicted winner: Chief

Predicted loser: Nick

Comments

Popular Posts